The Crabbet Park Real Tennis Court was built by Joseph Bickley for Neville Stephen Bulwer-Lytton (1879-1951) and Judith Blunt Lytton (1873-1957; 16th Baroness Wentworth 1917-57) in 1907.
The following photographs (Copyright English Heritage) were taken on 26 July, 1907. The Tennis Court and Orangery were listed Grade II in 1983 for more information on the building registration: English Heritage.
The group photograph (Left to Right): Joseph Bickley (court “client” architect/builder, Fred Covey (?), Neville Stephen Lytton*, Judith Blunt Lytton (Lady Wentworth), maid (?), 2 grounds keepers (?)
*According to the Bedford Lemere daybook the Hon. N.S. Lytton competed in the 1908 Olympics and won the Bronze medal for exhibition Real Tennis competition.
“Lady Wentworth’s will stipulated that Crabbet be left to her stud manager and tennis marker Geoffrey Covey, but he had died a few days earlier than Lady Wentworth, thus the Stud passed to his son, Cecil.” – Wikipedia entry on Judith Blunt-Lytton.
Whole-plate glass negative images taken 16 August, 1923 by Bassano ltd
Judith Anne Dorothea Blunt-Lytton, 16th Baroness Wentworth
NPG x30874 © National Portrait Gallery, London